Thursday, May 16, 2013

DIY Empire Waist Skirt (GR8 4 Maternity!)

I saw a skirt on Pinterest a couple days ago...(don't you love that site?!)...and decided I wanted something similar except a different fabric....here I have some extra stretchy fabric! (Sorry, was given to me for free so not sure exactly what it is)...but it's silky and yet stretchy at the same time :) This Skirt is great for maternity and could be done with big t-shirts pieces apart and sewn together (ooh, future project lol)

So here we go!

1. Cut your waist piece 8" tall & as long as your waist (under your chest, Empire waist) measures.
Now cut your Skirt Piece 1+ 1/2 your waist (mine was 32"...so 32"+16"=48")

2. Next fold your Waistband piece in half (wide ways)  together creating a fold on one side and sew a seam on the other... Now fold down in half creating a waistband.



3. Now for the Skirt...
Fold in half with pretty side out and sew down the side 1/4", then flip wrong side out and sew 5/8" along the same seam. Flip back out to pretty side...



4. Now attach Pins to the four sides of the Skirt to the four sides of the Waistband.

5. Now sew your Waistband to your Skirt Stretching the Waistband to fit the Skirt from pin to pin....it's a little tricky to do, so have some patients :) After you are done, trim access fabric to create a clean edge.


Ta-Da! Now flip out and try on to figure out your hem... Use pins to mark where you want your hem and fold the bottom under twice before the pin and sew :) looks great! Touch with a iron (if your fabric allows) and have fun sporting your own creating! Remember I am human and make mistakes, so please do this tutorial at your own risk :) It worked for me!


2 comments:

  1. This is just gorgeous. I love the color. I've always wanted to try making a maxi skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you stopped by :) It's been awhile since I've posted... But I have some more DIY projects I am working on! Hope you get a chance to sew up a maxi! Totally worth it :)

      Delete